T r i c h o m o n i a s i s –
- Trichomoniasis is a disease that affects birds.
- It does not pose a health threat to humans or mammals
- Canker is the name given to the disease when it affects pigeons and doves.
- It is sometimes called frounce when birds of prey are affected by this disease
The disease may be seen at this time of year as young birds are susceptible.
Trichomoniasis cannot live outside the host bird for more than a few minutes.
- It is spread through water that has been contaminated with saliva.
- It could alse be caused from droppings of a bird that already has the illness.
- Another way the disease can spread is when the young birds are fed by the parent bird during the breeding season.
Cleaning bird tables and bird feeders is very important. I suppose this is obvious. I mean we would not eat from a dirty plate or put up with a build up of crumbs nearby in our own lives. It’s obvious that if we did then health problems would arise.
To help prevent Trichomoniasis in my garden I have just scrubbed both bird tables with boiling water. I used an old bucket full of boiling hot water, a small scrubbing brush, had an old cloth and was wearing rubber gloves.
If keeping bird items clean helps to keep the bird population healthy then it is worth doing.
I got some fresh air and a walk round my garden as well.
PS Why do illnesses always have such long names. Why not just cal lit Triosis?