Millet is a small white seed about the size of a pin head
When one type of seed is bought on it’s own it is called either straight seed or single seed.
- Millet is a good single seed to use
- Millet has a very good food to energy ratio . This means when a bird eats millet it soon changes this food into energy. This is important, especially in winter.
- Millet is a good source of vitamin B – this is important during the breeding season
- Millet is full of protein and iron
- Millet is cased in a shell so protects the seed from moisture
Millet is a good bird food for many birds. Sparrows seem to especially like it.
I fill a PK Feeder up with millet. There are always sparrows feeding from the feeder. This seems to go on all day. The amount of millet they eat is astronomical!
The PK Feeder and millet go together like a horse and carriage! It is possible to put other food in the PK Feeder, but I never have.
I also put millet in the covered ground feeder and on the bird table if it is not windy. As millet is so small and light it easily blows off bird tables.
In winter sometimes melt some lard and pour it over the millet and put it inside the ground feeder or on the bird table. It does not turn it into a fatball, but the fat stops the millet blowing off the birdtable and gives birds the extra fat boost they need. Many birds seem to love this.
So if you want to help the sparrows and other birds try feeding millet. You needn’t buy the PK Feeder.
Both the tree sparrow and the house sparrow have been given the Red Status by the RSPB, which means they are in decline. Red status means
- · Globally threatened
- · Rapid (> or =50%) decline in UK breeding population over last 25 years
- · Rapid (> or =50%) contraction of UK breeding range over last 25 years
Having found a bird food and a bird feeder that attracts a small flock of sparrows I feel I should keep the feeder topped up all the time.
CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW FOR A FULL VIEW OF HAITHS BIRD FOOD
CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW FOR A FULL VIEW OF GARDEN BIRD SUPPLIES BIRD FOOD
TREE SPARROW –
Here is an article that other people have read –
Which bird food do you mostly use to attract birds.
Don’t for get you don’t automatically need a garden. See my BALCONY BIRDING CATEGORY . Do you find ways to feed birds without having a garden?
Have a good day