Bird seed and fat make a really good home made fatball. Birds love it. I love this recipe. It only takes a jiff to to.
Here is the step by step recipe –
- 1lb mixed bird seed
- 500g (1/2 lb) lard. IT MUST BE FAT. IT CANNOT BE VEGETABLE OIL. BIRDS NEED FAT FOR ENERGY.
- Small containers lined with greaseproof paper or kitchen foil.
- Melt the lard in a frying pan. the lard does not need to get really hot. Just needs to be warm liquid.
- Mix the bird seed and lard together in a large tub.
- Divide the mixture into the smaller tube
- wait for the lard to go solid and the mixture to set
- Put the mixture from one of the small tubs on a bird table and save the others for another day.
- Sit back with a coffee and a biscuit and watch as they flock to eat the food.
It really is a great, easy bird cake receip. It’s good because it bulks out the bird seed and gives our feathered friends much needed fat.