If we get bird feeding into our minds it will be second nature to us!
I’ve just bought some more bird food. I say it will last me a long time, but I know it won’t.
If birds don’t have to spend hours using energy searching for food they will have a much better change of surviving the cold, dark nights so a ready supply of bird food really helps.
A few top tips – Food and Water for our garden birds in winter.
- UNFROZEN WATER is really essential for drinking and bathing. Birds need to bathe in cold weather to keep their insulation in tip top condition. A ball or a piece of wood in the water may help stop the water freezing over.
- GRATED CHEESE on a lawn or under bushes helps many birds including wrens, dunnocks, robins, blackbirds and thrushes.
- FRUIT – such as cut up apple helps thrushes. Redwings will die if they cannot find fruit.
- FAT AND SUET BARS give energy for every bird
- SEEDS on the ground or on birdtables help many birds
- KITCHEN SCRAPS –such as bread, stale cake, chopped bacon find will feed blackbirds, starlings and many more.
- BIRD FOOD – any type of bought bird food will help. There are many to choose from.
Cold weather in winter can be a killer for birds so lets FEED THE BIRDS